Orders are dictated by dispatcher to station operators. The operators write the order on the form 19 and deliver them with clearance to the crews. Orders are dictated to all locations at once.
Here’s how the orders get to the crew:
- Dispatcher: “Chillicothe, copy one 19 west, set order signal”
- Chillicothe operator: “Chillicothe westbound signal already set, go ahead dispatch”, operator prepares order pad to copy only one order.
- Dispatcher: “Loveland, copy one 19 east, set order signal”
- Loveland operator sets the eastbound order signal to red.
- Loveland operator: “Loveland eastbound signal set, go ahead dispatcher”, operator prepares order pad to copy only one order.
- Dispatcher dictates the order; he records the order into the order book while he dictates while station operators copy orders onto Form 19 (or possibly From 31)
ORDER NO 3
TO C&E 815 (eight-one-five) WEST AT CHILLICOTHE
TO C&E TRAIN NO 10 (one-naught) EAST AT LOVELAND
EXTRA 815 WEST MEET TRAIN NO 10 EAST AT FARMERS
EXTRA 815 TAKE SIDING. (say period) – Saying “period” informs operator the order is finished
[Dispatchers initials] – Saying initials completes the order. Initials are written at the end of the order.
- Operators: Each operator repeats order to the dispatcher
- The operator addressed first in the order, repeats first. Same for remainder of operators
- On the Great B&O, we have one operator for multiple locations. The operator may repeat once for all locations of responsibility.
- Dispatcher: While order is being repeated, underline each word of the order in the order book (if two operators repeat, then underline twice)
- Once all operators have repeated
- Dispatcher states: “order NO 3 make complete at [current time]”
- Operators: finish the form 19’s by filling in
- Make complete Time [time from DS]
- Signs his own initials
- Operators: Can begin to prepare clearances for trains. See How to Prepare a Clearance.
- In general, it is NOT legal for an order to be dictated to one location, then dictated to another location at a different time.